Application & Fastener Engineering Services
Since 1948, our customers have used our engineering services with total satisfaction! It is recommended that SPIROL get involved at the earliest stages of the design process so that we can facilitate the design of not only the component used for fastening, joining & assembly, but also so that we can make the critical recommendations for the interface between our product and yours. The earlier that we are brought into the design process, the more likely we are able to equip you with one of our 30,000 standard items which cuts down on the cost of the product and the time it takes to get parts (as they may be able to ship from stock). We begin with a comprehensive evaluation of the requirements of your application from hole size, component materials and environmental exposure to performance expectations, assembly methods and cost requirements. Our application engineers will work with you as alternative approaches are considered in relationship to the total assembly objectives. Building on our experience, this shared and gained knowledge can shorten design and development time and improve application performance.
We will provide the optimum recommendation to these requirements in a professional report with samples, performance and test results and an installation equipment proposal when required. Our sales and service organizations will advise the best approach to secure the most competitive price and support your delivery and other commercial requirements. When personal visits are required, we will bring these resources to your facility.
In the end, we design, produce and deliver on time, the highest quality products in the industry and follow through to ensure your total satisfaction. We stand behind our work, our products, and our service.
SPIROL Solutions for Your Application
Design the most cost-effective fastening solution
It is our application engineering experience that truly differentiates us. Through partnering with companies early in the design stage, we not only help design the engineered fastener, but we also make the critical recommendations for the interface between our product and your assembly. When you engage SPIROL as a design partner, you will shorten the design cycle time and get to market as quickly as possible with a high quality, profitable product. Choose from the list of application types below to take advantage of SPIROL's complimentary engineering services!
Our Complimentary Application Engineering Process
When you engage with SPIROL as part of your team, we will utilise our 5-Step Process for Success to ensure that you receive the right solution in a timely manner. We will be an active participant of your team starting in the design stage - through the qualification stage – until the product is launched successfully to ensure that your quality, performance and assembly objectives are completely satisfied.
We work with you to define your product performance, assembly and commercial objectives. This includes gathering sample components, the drawings of the individual components and the assembly-level drawings. At this stage, we also define commercial objectives such as target product costing, product packaging / labeling, and delivery requirements.Request Engineering Support
Conduct Comprehensive Engineering Evaluation
After we gather your product, assembly and manufacturing objectives, we will conduct a comprehensive engineering evaluation. Our Application Engineers are dedicated to assisting you in determining the best solution for your particular application.Request Engineering Support
Present Technical and Commercial Proposal
We will provide you with a formal technical and commercial proposal, including prototypes for evaluation in your assembly. The proposal will detail other products that were considered for your application, and ultimately why the recommended part is the optimum solution.Request Engineering Support
Deliver Complete Assembly Solution
If installation equipment is involved, we can also design a fixture to hold and align the components during insertion. We build, test, install and certify the machine – as well as educate your operators and maintenance personnel.Request Engineering Support
Exceed Your Expectations
We plan production to meet your delivery requirements and will ship certified products anywhere in the world – on time.Request Engineering Support
Need Help Finding the Right Solution?
SPIROL offers complimentary Application Engineering support. We will assist on new designs as well as help resolve issues, and recommend cost savings on existing designs. Let us help!
Application Success Stories
Trigger Pin in Surgical Stapler
A leading medical device manufacturer approached SPIROL for assistance in designing a self-retaining trigger pin that eliminated cracking of the plastic yoke within the surgical stapler.
- SPIROL Engineers recommended a Light Duty Coiled Spring Pin which was designed specifically for plastic assemblies to ensure the perfect balance of strength and flexibility.
- Coiled Pins are easy to install and exert low stress on the hole after installation, yet they provide exceptional retention.
- In addition to recommending the most appropriate pin, SPIROL Engineers also recommended the hole sizes for each of the retaining locations to make sure that the assembly functioned properly over the life of the assembly.
- SPIROL’s Coiled Spring Pin eliminated the cracking of the plastic yoke, enhanced the function of the trigger, and improved the overall quality of the surgical stapler.
Retention Pin in Plastic Electric Vehicle Charging Handle
A manufacturer of electric vehicle charging handles had been experiencing high scrap rates during assembly due to screws stripping the plastic host. They wanted to replace the screws with permanent, tamper resistant fasteners that also supported lean manufacturing.
- SPIROL Engineering recommended replacing the screws with Press-N-Lok™ Pins that were specifically designed as retention pins for plastic enclosures.
- Press-N-Lok™ Pins have barbs that provide high retention in plastics. As the pins are pressed into the plastic, the barbs displace the plastic host material. After installation, the plastic backfills behind the barbs to lock the pins in place.
- The assembly time for the Press-N-Lok™ Pins was much quicker and the assembly equipment costs was lower compared to the screws previously used.
- SPIROL's Press-N-Lok™ Pins simplified the assembly process, and eliminated scrap events associated with the installation of the screws.
Mechanical Clutch in Heavy Duty Right Angle Drill
The lead engineer at a prominent hand and power tool company contacted SPIROL for help determining the best Disc Spring design for a new lightweight, compact, and portable Heavy Duty Right Angle Drill.
- SPIROL Engineering designed two special Disc Springs stacked in series to meet the specific force and deflection requirements.
- Disc Springs offer a higher load capacity in less space as compared to conventional coil springs which enables the designer to make the tool more compact.
- Unlike Belleville Washers that are mostly used in static applications, Disc Springs provide unparalleled predictability, reliability and fatigue life in highly dynamic applications.
- By partnering with SPIROL and incorporating our recommendation, the customer minimised costly development time and confidently launched their new high-quality drill to the market.
Alignment Dowels in Lower Engine Block
A leading automotive manufacturer approached SPIROL for a cost-effective solution to precision align the lower engine block to the primary engine block.
- SPIROL's GD100 Ground Hollow Dowels are used where centerline tolerance and precision alignment are required as they maintain critical alignment within 20 µm.
- GD100 Ground Hollow Dowel reduce weight by over 50% as compared to the same size Solid Dowel.
- SPIROL's recommendation resulted in over $100,000 in annual cost savings as compared to other alignment options considered.
The lead engineer at an industrial conveyor manufacturing company approached SPIROL to help resolve an issue caused by low quality plastic tubing used to separate skate wheel rollers from each other and from the conveyor walls.
- SPIROL's Application Engineers recommended replacing low cost, low quality plastic tubing with SPIROL's CS100 Conveyor Spacers
- CS100 Conveyor Spacers are stronger than plastic tubing and competitively priced.
- SPIROL's proprietary roll forming process enables custom lengths produced with no tool charges and fast turnaround times.
- By partnering with SPIROL, the conveyor manufacturer was able to improve the quality of the assembly while concurrently controlling costs and inventory.
Have a manufacturing issue you can't solve? Our engineering experts love a challenge. Recommending efficient solutions for your application requirements is what we do best. Give us a call or fill out the form below to connect with us!+44 1536 444800